Sunday, November 15, 2009

Simple Pleasures

I had a couple apples on hand that I didn't think I would eat--typically, I don't enjoy red delicious as plain hand fruit. But I knew a way I would eat them--as apple chips.

I made these by slicing apples super thin, spreading them in a single layer on a pan lined with parchment paper, and letting them sit for an hour. I preheated the oven to only 200, sprinkled the apples with sugar, then let them dry in the oven for ~80 minutes. Yum.


My second pleasure was inspired by David Tanis, in his cookbook, a platter of figs. If you are at all interested in food or stories, please--check it out. David divides his book into section based on season, and gives each season six exquisite menus, such as "Supper of the Lamb", "Too Darned Hot, Alors", "Another Early Autumn", and "North African Comfort Food".

But his book isn't just about recipes and menus. David includes delightful stories at the beginning of each menu about various food/travel/entertaining experiences, such as when he attempted to buy the most expensive seats in the house for a ballet when he was in Spain...but ended up in the balcony.

It's from the introduction for "The Bean Soup Lunch" that tonight's inspiration came. David spends six whole paragraphs explaining the proper way to make garlic toast. So, I thought, I will make some. Now, I didn't light a fire outdoors and grill my toast over open coals the way David suggests. But I did use good bread cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. And after toasting, I brushed with olive oil, and then--this is the part David says is really important--cut a clove of garlic in half, and gently rubbed the cut side against the toast. Then sprinkled with sea salt.

It. was. divine. Perfectly garlic-ed. The very essence of garlic, and not at all overpowering.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Okay those apple chips look tempting. I never considered making them... I love them but to purchase them is needlessly expensive. What a great surprise that you can make them fairly easily at home. Thanks for sharing!