Monday, November 9, 2009

A Challenge

Hello again! I've decided to put an end to my blogging silence. My motivation is to keep myself accountable to something I've been thinking about a lot lately--namely, money. As a substitute teacher working unsalaried for a day-to-day rate, I can't say money is something I have a lot of, but lately my perspective on that has been changing. For the past month, the young adults in my church have met each week for Theology on Tap, and each week we hear a different speaker from organizations in Pittsburgh--Coro Center for Civic Leadership, Shepherd's Heart, Pittsburgh Project, and World Vision. These are all organizations that work with people in Pittsburgh (and in the case of World Vision, around the world) who live in poverty. Each week, I walk away very moved, and I've realized--

I have a lot.

Compared to most people on this planet, I am rich. It is easy for me to forget this living in Sewickley, where in comparison to others in my community, I am not. But my sense of what I have is changing drastically. It is easy to forget exactly how much I have because I am not confronted with people who have less. I simply don't see these people, because they are not where I live. But they are there. And I don't want to forget about them anymore.

Having said all this, I wasn't sure exactly what I could do. The need is so great. I am so little.

But maybe that's the point.

So I've decided to rely more on God. And I think the only way that can I happen is if I give a little more sacrificially. If I live a little more sacrificially. Yesterday's sermon at church was on the story of the poor widow who gave all she had. It was only two small coins, but Jesus said it was the biggest offering.

I'll be honest, I don't think I can give all I have. I don't have that much faith. But I do want to give so it hurts a little. And so I decided, that until my next paycheck (which in two weeks--Nov. 20th), I am not going to buy any food. I have enough food in my house to sustain me for two weeks. I have enough food in my house to sustain me for more than two weeks.

Maybe this shouldn't seem like a big sacrifice. I won't ever be hungry. I just went and counted--there are 12 boxes (that's 12 pounds!) of pasta alone in my cupboard. Not to mention rice, flour, butter, eggs, etc., etc. But you know me--I love food! I love to cook. I read cookbooks everyday, and I'm always making new things. Often, I need a few new ingredients to make those things--and that's where I'm limiting myself. I can make only what I have. And with the money I save, I can give to people that don't have enough to buy food.

I know it will be hard, but I'm excited! This will force me to be creative. And I hope, be more thankful for what I do have, and all God's wonderful provision in my life. So, here it goes! Check back often for updates on what I'm actually eating! Last night it was tuna fish spaghetti. Here's a picture of today's snack, buttered toast with shards of parmesan. See, I'm blessed already!

No comments: