Monday, December 4, 2006

A Sunday

I did the reading at church this Sunday. Zechariah 14:4-9. Kind of a random passage, but it has ended up meaning a lot to me.

See, my friend Nike asked me if I would do the reading, and she gave me the reference on a slip of paper. Well, at the time I was talking to her and Elanor about a conversation I'd just had with the guy I used to date. And so I thought she was giving me some encouraging verses. But when I went back to my room and started to read, I was a bit confused. Until I got to verse six, which says:

On that day the sources of light will no longer shine, yet there will be continuous day! Only the LORD knows how this could happen! (New Living Translation)

I feel as if those verses perfectly describe my life right now. It's as if I know that God is going to change my situation. But the change he's going to do is something crazy. Something crazy like a sunless day. But he knows how it's going to happen. He knows, and it's ok that I don't.

The ESV translation we use at church says it like this:

On that day there shall be no light, cold, or frost. And there shall be a unique day, which is known to the LORD, neither day nor night, but at evening time there shall be light.

God is there. Through all those unique days. Those unique days that I just don't get. God does. And that is enough. Amen.

No comments: