Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snowy Thoughts




I don't know how many of you are having the same weather experience, but in my life, it's been pretty darn snowy around the place. So snowy, in fact, that it's safe to say snow is governing my life. I'm not working because all the schools are canceled. When I want to go into town, it takes me at least twice as long to get there. I'm not going outside much because I hate the cold, and the snow is too deep to really walk around. So I'm left alone in a huge house with nothing but my thoughts for company.

Of course, my first inclination is to cook. Mostly, I've been making all kinds of warming, comforting foods. For breakfast this morning I had biscuits with sausage gravy, something I'd never make normally. The other night, I made a red wine vegetable stew over the fire in my fireplace, which, I must say, felt pretty damn cool.

But beyond cooking, what else is there? Watching movies is nice, but I can only do that so much without feeling like a huge slob. Housework, but generally, the house is clean enough. Knitting, but my stash of yarn is dwindling, and I've always considered that more of a social activity anyway. Reading, but I can't find the right book.

I've always been somewhat of a reclusive person, but this snow is beating the hermit out of me. Movies (like He's Just Not That Into You, which I watched last night) are more fun when disected with a friend. I'm more inspired to clean when my mom's around, because I know she'll appreciate it. My knitting moves faster when I have someone to talk to. And I enjoy reading great bits aloud to whoever is around.

And of course, eating. I do like cooking for myself--I can make whatever I want and not worry if someone else is going to like it--but generally, it's more enjoyable to eat with company.

So I thought I'd just get some of my thoughts out on the blog-o-sphere before I go back to thinking alone.

No comments: