Monday, April 16, 2007

Staying Warm

Seasonal Affective Disorder--it's real, you know. I think anyone who lives in Grove City, Pennsylvania can testify to that fact right now. I'm not sure why it's snowing in the middle of April, but I don't like it one bit. As Dr. Graham said to me last Wednesday--"Eliot was right, 'April is the cruelest month.'" Never has a poet spoken truer words.

Today Suzanne and I looked out the window to see a poor fellow walking to the cafeteria wrapped in a blanket. I barely resisted the urge to do the same.

I admit to procrastinating on my pile of work tonight and checking out James Joyce's Dubliners from the library. I curled up and read the first story, and it was much like the weather. Paralysis--a key image in the story. I think the weather makes me feel much the same way, gray and weak.

There is one perk I can think of to the cold. Hot tea--one of my truest loves. Were the sun out, I may not feel like it as much. So the best I can do is drink up and make sure to use cheery floral mugs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I agree with you Morgan...winter is just dragging on..only to call Abby today and she said she had to go... because her ice cream was melting in the 90 degree heat!!!! Poor thing!

morgan m said...

so jealous...