Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Food Rant

So normally I come here to share some recipes. I know a few people read them. I have no idea if people actually make them. And if you don't, that's fine--I myself rarely make recipes that I read on food blogs. But what I do very sincerely hope, whether you cook my recipes or not, is that you are cooking. I hope that you are feeding yourself well. I hope that you are putting food into your body that will sustain your body. That your diet looks like a rainbow. And maybe even that you follow one of Michael Pollan's food rules--"Eat as much junk food as you want, as long as you cook it yourself."

The British chef Jamie Oliver has been a hero of mine for a long time now. Not only does he run a restaurant in London, he seems to come out with a new cookbook every year (I have six of them), and his restaurant itself is doing a world of good--it's called Fifteen, because he takes in 15 young people who have had a rough time of it, and trains them to be chefs. Wow. Plus, he reformed the school cafeteria scene in Britain.

And now he's getting a ton of press for what he's doing in America. I encourage you to watch his show, which is on ABC every Friday at 9pm. His latest cookbook, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, has the same title as the show, and I would recommend it if you're looking for something to teach you basic recipes. Or at least watch this inspiring clip, in which he talks about what exactly it is he's trying to do.

As he says, "My wish is for everyone to help create a strong, sustainable movement to educate every child about food, inspire families to cook again and empower people everywhere to fight obesity."

I hope you will, in some small way, support this. Even if just means going to a farmer's market, buying something fresh, and cooking it for dinner.

3 comments:

alexjames said...

I discovered Jamie's Food Revolution show via Hulu and have been meaning to watch it. After this reminder, I surely will.

I think the importance of sustainability and cooking seasonally is something so simple, yet so lost. Cooking fresh foods, locally grown, that are IN SEASON is the single best thing you can do to improve your cooking and more importantly, your health.

I completely agree with you, Morgan.

Natalie said...

I just shared a link to this blog with Liz Mahan (sp?). We had a great talk about Jamie Oliver at the Terry home. Turns out they used to love to eat at his restaurant in London! I was so excited to hear them spreading the word about his amazing work. Looks like you may be needing to do some show and tell with those cook books!

Paul Brown said...

Thanks for this good reminder, Morgan! Rebecca and I are trying to cook more, eat less meat, and buy more organic/local food. We still have a long way to go.

I haven't watched Jamie Oliver's show yet, but I hope he is able to break through the current barrier that relocates the organic/local food movement to upper socio-economic groups. In order to truly address obesity in our country, healthy eating cannot be restricted to a small group that can afford it.